Nowadays, cranes have become the inevitable part of construction and transportation of heavy machinery from one part to another. Due to the excessive use of cranes in modern world, a lot of companies have emerged to provide top notch services for repairing, overhauling, fabricating, rebuilding, hydraulic repairing and painting crane. Cranes are basically the major element of different construction operations. These are also associated with great fraction of workers’ death on site. It is estimated that cranes are utilized for more than one third of all types of constructions and maintenance work.
The professionals related to health and security, are giving their services to construction industry. In order to provide crane safety, it is vital to supply devices, training and skills to insure that the latest techniques are properly used. Whenever cranes are used in specific area, it is essential to check all the precautionary measures are applied. The experts have complete knowledge of crane support equipment, engines, winches and crane assembly, so the companies hire support for on shore or off shore projects.
Causes of Crane Mishaps:
OSHA has checked out the ratio of crane accidents and searched out the four basis factors which are involved in crane mishaps. These are
- Power lines contact
- Mechanical Failure
Unluckily, crane workers and crew members can be electrocuted in case of working close to overhead power lines. In order to avoid electrocutions, NIOSH or national Institute for Occupational Safety & Health has observed the facts behind injuries. It is noticed that workers, supervisors and employers are not aware of overhead power line operations of cranes. As a result, they do not use safety procedures. In order to provide safety against the horrible injuries related to electrical shock, CSA has given recommendation for safety. The proposals are as follows:
- It is compulsory that crane operator should not come out of his cab. While performing his job, he is bound to be inside cab
- It is visible that the ground in the region of machine can be energized due to crane operation. It must be the rule that employees remain away from the load area, ropes and crane
- It is the responsibility of crane operator to keep the crane away from contact through shifting it in opposite direction to avoid mishaps
- In case, it is difficult to reverse the crane from contact, the operator should not get out of the cab until and unless the lines are de-energized
Requisites for Reducing Crane Mishap Ratio:
There are five requisites which are important to follow to prevent damages. These prerequisites are as follows:
- Regular Maintenance of machines
- Provide training to workers
- Use latest tools
- Supervise the workers
Last but not least, a rental company must be hired which has latest cranes and ability to understand the right crane for your task. It is reasonable to choose a company that gives surety of personnel safety and crane maintenance. It does not only provide a secure place for employees but also boost up company’s standard.